11/11/17

No More Yanky My Words. The Blogger Needs SLEEP: That Time I failed NaBloPoMo. Hard.




The title of this post is paraphrasing the character Long Duk Dong from Sixteen Candles and I hesitated to use it because of the negative stereotype that character reinforced. My brother is Korean-American and I try to be hyper aware of these things. That said, it's the feeling behind these words that resonate with me today, not the tone. I NEEDED SLEEP LIKE LONG DUK DONG NEEDED FOOD.

If the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, I think there should be a section of pavement down there named "Jenny Avenue" or "Hausfrau Lane" because my intentions are almost always good and quite often end in failure. I'm picturing a cool, old-London-town cobblestone.

I tried. In an attempt to redeem myself there may be two posts today and then I'll pick up where I left off, tomorrow. I'm thinking my Tinder tale really needs to be told and I'm hoping to overcome my embarrassment long enough to get a good story out of it. Because it's weird for me to expose anything less than classy here, right? Sigh.

I set out with nothing but noble ideas yesterday. I worked a full day, and throughout the day made my mental list of what was going to go down Friday night:


  • dinner (nothing fancy, probably a mishmash of leftovers since we have pesto pasta and taco ring remainders in the fridge)(yes I said taco ring, God help me)
  • the gym
  • a martini
  • washing of the bedding
  • catch up on my tv shows
  • write a post or two here


Here's what happened:


  • ate some cauliflower with dill dip
  • fell asleep on the couch at 7:15 while watching Seinfeld


I have a few hazy memories of this Rip Van Winkle evening: a young person, hopefully one of my kids, gently removing the Roku remote from my hands and turning everything off. Walter crying at my side and another young person (this time I know it was my daughter because I was mentally willing her to hear him and let him out and she responded) helping him. Waking up in that weird confused state, not knowing if I was supposed to be getting ready for work or what and then stumbling down the hallway to my bedroom, removing the accouterments of the day (basically: taking off my bra and my pants) and falling into the cold bliss that is my bednest. At some point I did regain consciousness long enough to exchange some messages with a sweet friend, the topic was Tinder and as I fell back asleep I started writing about it in my head, so there's hope for a post later.  

According to the old Fitbit this was the longest stretch of shut-eye I've had in weeks. I doubt the validity of the "1 hr and 43" awake minutes but there's no questioning the rest of it. I woke up ready to seize the day and so here I am, clickety clacking on the old laptop, going back and rewatching the Seinfeld episodes I slept through and chugging coffee. Also there may be taco ring for breakfast. I will neither confirm nor deny this. 

To those of you who have been following my NaBloPoMo journey, I'm sorry to have failed you. I hope you forgive me and accept the offerings I will shove your way today. 

Yours in restfulness,

Jenny






10 comments:

  1. I took yesterday to be the figurative mic drop to the post about Louis CK. Totally understandable taking a day after having to write something so heartbreaking.
    Glad you're back! And rested ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for understanding how hard it was to learn about Louis CK. Dammit, Louie!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm sitting here wondering what a taco ring is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! It's taco meat all rolled up in a circle of crescent rings :) Google pillsbury taco crescent and you'll see it.

      Delete
    2. Clearly, Suburban Correspondent has never been to a Pampered Chef party!

      Delete
    3. OMG. I can't believe how much of that stuff I still have! The round baking stone :D

      Delete
  3. I love this! Your goals vs real life lists pretty much look like mine any given night. I'm sorry but working and being a mom (and trying to have a life outside of those two things) is freaking exhausting.

    ps. taco ring....enough said. I've gotten to wear I'll just quick throw something into the garbage so that I can't eat it. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I can't believe the stuff I eat just because it's there!! Although the taco rings are pretty good on the reheat, ha!

      Delete
  4. Friday night I fell asleep at 8:30 p.m., got up at 9:15 p.m. went back to sleep about 20 minutes later. Slept until 7:30 a.m. I get so little sleep during the week Friday nights are a throw-away for getting much done. It sure felt great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Love the snapchat video!! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...