4/26/11

R.I.P. Phoebe Snow

I remember getting a Toni perm way back in the day, looking in the mirror and saying, "I look like Phoebe Snow." (yes, an albino version of Phoebe Snow, but still.......)




I'm going to admit something here. No judging, please....but all these years I thought Ms. Snow was African-American. In reality? A white, Jewish woman.

Who knew?

Aside from having an absolutely gorgeous voice, she was an amazing person. She gave birth to a daughter who suffered from severe brain damage. Her husband left her while their baby was still a baby, and Phoebe put her career, and life, on hold to take care of her daughter. The baby, Valerie, was not expected to live through her toddler years but made it to the age of 31.

I am hoping that Phoebe is up in heaven right now, having a long-overdue conversation with her girl.

2 comments:

  1. God bless you for posting this. I love her voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard Poetry Man. Such a striking voice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...