7/7/10

Branching Out

Today, a new website is launching. It's a "writer's collaborative" website that features one essay-style post a day from a fabulous group of keyboard pounders located all around the US of A. And I am one of those writers.

It's called "Smartly" and they are located right here.

Pinch me.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't fancy myself the next Ernest Hemingway, sitting here at my computer in my loud Nick and Nora pajamas, sucking down my first cup of coffee. Writing is just something that I have always done, ever since I was a little girl. It's been my way of venting, expressing myself, my main form of communication. I used to keep diaries and journals. Back when I was in 5th or 6th grade, I even became a published writer of sorts. Our local newspaper had a little supplement called "The Smile Factory" and I was part of the paid writing staff...five bucks per article, poem or story. I still remember the rush I'd feel seeing my stuff in print. It left a mark.

So when I happened to stumble upon an invitation to submit my scribblings to this new website, I sheepishly filled out the application and gave them a link to this blog, my public clothesline filled with all sorts of dirty laundry.

And they liked me. They really, really liked me. Knock me over with a feather.

I feel all cool now, I have deadlines and "editors" and all sorts of other writery accessories.

No, it's not a paying gig. I'm not going to quit selling gently used garments on eBay, or stop herding kids around the school for nine months out of the year, or cast aside my pursuit of past due child support. But I am going to look at this as one of the first steps of what I hope is to become a long and fulfilling journey. A writing journey.

And I'm so glad you are here to take it with me.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats, Jenny! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stll remember the short story you wrote in high school about a girl who had cancer in her leg. I sat after school at my locker to read it. I couldnt put it down! I cried even. What was her name, Chelsea? Courtney? You have talent jenny! I read the blog every day and look forward to reading anything you write. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.M.G.

    Anonymous, I am blown away that you remember that! I had forgotten about that story....serious flashback. Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...